By Celebrity Detective Steve
Jicama is a Mexican root vegetable and celebrity chefs Bobby Flay and Emeril Lagasse both make Jicama Slaw using it, but which one of them makes it best? Here we will compare the different ingredients and methods they use in this virtual battle of healthy and hopefully tasty slaw.
We start with Bobby Flay's version of Jicama Slaw that also contains cabbage, so his official recipe is called Jicama Cabbage Slaw.
- 1) 1/2 small head jicama
- 2) Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 3) 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice
- 4) 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 5) 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 6) 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7) 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8) 1/4 head Napa cabbage
- 9) 1/4 head red cabbage
- 10) 1/4 cup of rice vinegar
- 11) 2 large green onions
- 12) 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 13) 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Next we have a look at Emeril Lagasse's version of Jicama Slaw.
- 1) 1 small jicama
- 2) 1 chayote - peeled, seeded, and julienned
- 3) 1 cup of thinly sliced red onion
- 4) 1 cup of thinly sliced orange bell pepper
- 5) 2 thinly sliced jalapenos with the seeds
- 6) 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 7) 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- 8) 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 9) 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 10) 1 teaspoon of salt
- 11) 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 12) 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Notes: You see that Emeril Lagasse uses a total of 12 ingredients compared to Bobby Flay's 13. As far as the amount of jicama used, Emeril uses a full small jicama while Bobby uses a half. Because Bobby is using only half of the jicama, it appears he adds the 1/4 head Napa cabbage and the 1/4 head red cabbage to make up for the smaller amount of jicama.
I've learned that famed television cook Rachael Ray also has a recipe for Jicama Slaw that she uses for her Baja Beer-Battered Fish Tacos.
And finally, this is popular Chef Billy Parisi's idea of how to make Jicama Slaw for salmon burgers.
Healthy Celebrity Teeth - See hundreds of celebrity teeth pictures like the one below of actress Margot Robbie: Click Here.
Celebrity Eye Beauty - Below is an up-close picture of Kim Kardashian's eyes, eyelashes and eyebrows. See many more up-close pictures of celebrity eyes likes this: Click Here.